Scott Wimmer Joins MacDonald Motorsports For Dollar General 300 at Chicagoland
Wisconsin native competing for first time with Mooresville, N.C.-based team
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. (Sept. 14, 2011) – Scott Wimmer (Wausau, Wis.) will make his inaugural start with the MacDonald Motorsports racing team in Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race, the Dollar General 300 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill., and will be seeking his first career top-10 finish at the 1.5-mile track.
Wimmer has competed in 19 of 27 races this season, most recently participated in the Food City 250 on Aug. 26 at Bristol Motor Speedway in Johnson City, Tenn. This weekend, he will drive the No. 81 K-LOVE Dodge in what will be his 225th series start.
“I really like this race track,” said Wimmer, who grew up about five hours away from Chicagoland, one of the closest tracks to his central Wisconsin home.
“I had a chance to run there in the spring and it was a lot of fun. It’s nice to be within driving distance to home; we don’t see that too much. You always want to run well when you are close to home. I know a lot of people from the Midwest and there will be a lot of familiar people you normally don’t get to see, which is nice.”
Wimmer is no stranger to Chicagoland; he has five NASCAR Nationwide Series starts at Chicagoland, with a best finish of 13th twice – in 2001 and 2002. MacDonald Motorsports, which is 26th in the owner championship standings this season, is seeking its first top-10 finish this year.
“I’ve known Randy MacDonald for a long time,” Wimmer said. “He kind of came up through the same ranks as I did. Randy has had a lot of drivers in that car over the past couple of years that didn’t necessarily have a lot of experience, and I try to help the team out as much as possible. It was good to run there in the spring, and I’ll take what I learned then and try to apply it to this weekend.”
Wimmer said he was also excited to be driving the K-LOVE car this weekend.
“It’s great to see the partnership they have with MacDonald Motorsports,” Wimmer said. “I look forward to representing them. If we can have a couple of strong practices, stay out of trouble and be there at the end of the race, we should have a good finish. It will be good for K-LOVE, the team, and carry some momentum over through the end of the year.”
Practice for the Dollar General 300 at Chicagoland Speedway begins at 11:40 a.m. CT Friday, with final practice scheduled for 3:30 p.m. CT (live, SPEED, 4:30 p.m. ET). Qualifying for the race begins at 11:05 a.m. CT (live, SPEED, noon ET).
The 200-lap race begins at 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday, with live television coverage on ESPN2 starting at 3 p.m. and live radio coverage on MRN Radio and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio beginning at 3:15 p.m.
- This is the 28th of 34 NASCAR Nationwide Series races in 2011.
- Wimmer has competed in five NASCAR Nationwide Series races at Chicagoland Speedway, with a best finish of 13th, in 2001 and 2002.
- Out of 1,000 possible laps in his five starts at Chicagoland Speedway, Wimmer has completed 993 laps and has been running at the finish of all five races.
- Wimmer is currently 22nd in the NASCAR Nationwide Series standings, one point ahead of rookie Ryan Truex. His best finish this season was 12th in the Aaron’s 312 at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.
- In 224 NASCAR Nationwide Series starts, Wimmer has accumulated six wins, 29 top fives and 74 top 10s. His best finish in the NASCAR Nationwide Series championship points standings was third in 2002.
- K-LOVE is a nationwide network of contemporary Christian radio stations heard locally on 94.3 in Chicagoland.